Saturday, March 3, 2012

Spring Garden

Even though it is only the beginning of March, spring is definitely in the air in this part of Texas.  In fact, it has been for quite some time.  Christian and I have talked about planting a garden for a while.  We have planted numerous seeds and watched them grow in the windowsill.  Today, we have our first "official" garden, thanks to the assistance of his grandpa and daddy. 

It was only a matter of time.  Gardening is in Christian's blood.  My grandpa was a wonderful gardener, growing everything from corn and peas to watermelon and cantaloupe.  Christian's great-grandmother is a queen at making their yard splash with color.  His grandpa's garden is truly a sight.  I remember when I first began visiting their house; they had one plum tree in the backyard. It has since grown, as has his passion for organic gardening.  And even our yard began its transformation several years ago, as it made room for an apple, orange, and peach tree, in addition to several blackberry bushes.

Now, we have entered the world of vegetable gardening.  I think Christian's eyes danced more as he walked through the local nursery than they do walking through the toy department.  He wanted everythingWe settled for two tomato plants and one pepper plant.  Of course, we also had to get two strawberry plants. 

Christian was so proud to build the bed with his grandpa and daddy.  I pray that his love for gardening may continue for years to come.  With his grandpa and daddy by his side, I have no doubt that his hands will constantly be covered with dirt and his chin will be speckled with the juice of his latest pick. 








 


1 comment:

Emily Fiore said...

Cute! It looks like Grandma is sitting in the wheelbarrow in one of the pictures. lol