Things here are constantly changing. Just when I think I have a grasp on the situation, a child goes through a growth spurt, conquers some developmental milestone, or just "mixes things up" a bit. But it is fun to say the least!
Christian Humor |
Summer has gone and autumn is somewhere in the near (or distant) future. For those of you who don't know about this area, we get excited when the days are only in the low 90's. After the long, HOT days of summer, any relief is welcome relief. We spent much of the summer at the pool, whether it be at swim lessons or at our local pool. Unfortunately, as summer came to an end so did the lessons and our afternoon dips. I was so delighted about the progress Christian made with regards to his swimming. Even more so, however, I am one proud momma that he tried with all his might to do whatever his coaches asked him to do.
With daily swims coming to an end, we saw the beginning of school. Christian began preschool this year. I remember like it was yesterday when he began "school" at six-months-old. Now he is carrying his own backpack (and sometimes an attitude), singing songs in Spanish, telling me what his teacher said, talking about his friends, and writing up a storm. He has gotten too big. Andrew also began "school," or more accurately, a mother's day out (MDO) program. I would have loved to stay home with him but our NICU bills prevented this. The adjustment to the new school schedule has been challenging. Christian began a three-day program which required me to switch workdays. He is tired at the end of the week. And Andrew? He is exhausted when I pick him up; the little stinker does not sleep much at MDO.
Soccer has also begun. Daniel played soccer growing up and Christian thought he would give it a try this year. We joined a local Upwards league and have been thoroughly pleased. It helps that we have a great coach (aka Coach Daniel/Daddy)! It brings me such joy to see the two of them play together. After practice, Coach Daniel transitions to Daddy and the true fun begins.
Finally, Andrew celebrated six months!!! Unfortunately, he sported four huge Band-Aids on his thighs most of the day due to his wellness check. However, we stole some extra snuggle time so it made it all worth while. We also got the green light to proceed with solids at the visit. Previously, the doctor had said to hold off a couple more months to encourage weight gain. Andrew tipped the scale at 11 pounds, 4 ounces and measured 24 inches long; the doctor was pleased. We had actually tried foods the week before his visit (bad momma for not listening to the doctor). Andrew was hungry and mommy was tired and desperate. Therefore we brought out the rice cereal...it was a no go. His tongue thrust reflex was still present. The hunger continued so two nights later I tried again. Wailing and gnashing of gums ensued; the red in Andrew's hair flared as he protested the foreign matter in his mouth. Desperate, I sliced up an avocado and gave him a few smashed up bits...one happy guy! We have tried cereal again and he detests the stuff. He will gobble up peas and butternut squash, though. He must have received too many vegetables while in the womb:)
There is so much more to write about. However, I will let the pictures do the talking! Until next time....


No comments:
Post a Comment