Saturday, March 23, 2013

Andrew Charles

Andrew Charles made his way speedily into the world on March 19 at 2:43 AM, weighing 5 pounds, 9.8 ounces and measuring 19 inches long.  Christian was born an hour after arriving to the hospital; little Andrew beat his brother's time. 

Not feeling the best Monday night, I decided to head to bed a little early.  I woke up at midnight.  My contractions had started and I was having back labor again.  I thought perhaps I just slept in an awkward position and tried to reposition myself and did some light stretching.  The pain persisted.  After letting out a cry of pain, Daniel knew it was time to hit the road.  While he got Christian sleepily into the car to take to our amazing friends down the street, I rapidly packed my bags and called my doctor to let her know we were headed to the hospital.  (Packing my bags was on my list to do later this week.)  We dropped Christian off at 2:10 and pulled up to the hospital at 2:30.  Walking to the door, my water broke.  The ER nurses rushed me to labor and delivery; 13 minutes after we arrived Andrew Charles was born.

The nurses were amazing and actually delivered our wonderful new blessing into the world. My doctor did not even make it in time!  For the next hour, Daniel and I were able to delight in our new bundle of joy without any interruptions.  It was an amazingly tender time.


Because Andrew arrived five weeks early, he had to go to the NICU unit as a standard precaution.  However, we knew he was in good hands and the nurses let us come and go whenever we pleased. Of course, we visited him often.  (My nurses laughingly said they could never find me in my room.)

Since that time, it has been a difficult road.  I was discharged but Andrew is still in the NICU.  As a good friend said, "they do not call it the NICU rollercoaster for nothing."  The pendulum of our emotions have swung from one extreme to another.  We have experienced steps forward and backslides in the opposite direction.  Hours of prayer have been uplifted as we watched our little one.  We hold on to the truths that "the prayer of  a righteous man availeth much" and "the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up."  We are comforted that "the Lord will fight for us; we only need to be still."  God has proved over and over this week that His grace is sufficient and that He is a merciful and loving God.

Thank you to everyone who has prayed endless hours with us, for the calls, texts, and thoughtful gifts, and for the countless ways you have blessed our lives.  We ask for continued prayers for our little man.  And we pray that God may be glorified!


It is Him who gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  

The Lord is good and His love endures forever. 

No comments: