Friday, October 19, 2012

Three

Christian is every bit a three-year-old, from the top of his head to the tips of his toes.  One moment, he is a delightful young man, eager to lend a helping hand, share a hug, and brighten the room with his smile.  Then the pendulum swings and he transforms almost instantly, his arms cross obstinately and he resolutely declares "I will not ______" or "I don't like ______."  To say it is exhausting is as understatement.  I remind myself, however, that the vacillation in moods is developmentally appropriate.  It is my job to loving correct the behavior.

Yesterday, the following conversation took place.  Despite my frustration, I had to try not to smile.

Me:  Why do you fuss?
Christian:  Because I do.

Me:  Do you fuss for your teachers?
Christian:  No.

Me:  Do you fuss for Grandma?
Christian:  No.

Me:  Then why do you fuss with me?
Christian:  Because I do; that's what little boys do!

No comments: