Monday, February 15, 2010
The Mix
From what I have observed, one of the "games" people play is trying to identify who contributed what to the child. I find myself doing it..."oh, he has your eyes," or "she has your nose." For some children, it is blatantly obvious who they look like. For others, your have to look a little closer and study their features.
The other night as I was putting Christian to sleep, I began thinking about about his "mix." I think he has most of his dad's features, except for his eyes...they are mine. However, the mixture runs deeper than the physical attributes. Christian is an observer, just like his father. If you have ever watched Daniel in a new social setting, you will notice him step back and observe the situation and environment. He once told once that he constantly calculates the outcomes that could arise.
The other day when Christian and I were at a play group, I saw this in Christian. He crawled to the middle of the toy pile in the middle of the room and just observed everything! As a child came up to get a toy, he noted what toy they took. If someone entered or exited the room, he noted that, as well. (He did all of this while chewing on a tambourine. No, Daniel does not usually chew on a musical instrument while doing his observations.)
In other instances, Christian is all me. Daniel often says/complains that I do not stop. Sometimes I feel I just have too much energy in my body to sit still. I laugh out loud as I notice this trait in my son. Once he has assessed the situation, he is constantly on the move. He walks here, walks there, stops to look at this, picks up that, laughs out loud, and then is off again at a brisk pace. I LOVE it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment