Saturday, June 8, 2013

Two Months

I cannot believe two months have already passed since our little boy was born.  My, how things have changed and how he has changed.  At our two month check-up, Andrew weighed a whopping 7 pounds,  4 ounces and measured 20.5 inches long.  He did not even make it onto the growth chart; however, the pediatrician said that he had "predictable" growth so he was fine.  It amazes me that Andrew is still not as big as Christian was when he was born.  Whereas Christian wore newborn clothes for 1-2 weeks, Andrew is still in newborn clothes (I am writing this and he is almost 12-weeks-old)! 

At his appointment, it was difficult for me because I could not answer "yes" to all of the nurse's questions regarding milestones.  I remind myself, however, that he was a preemie and it will take some time to "catch-up."  What I can do is love my son, no matter what milestone he is at, and encourage growth as developmentally appropriate for him.  Therefore, I have signed up to receive weekly updates at both his adjusted age and actual age.  This truly gives me comfort. The pediatrician said that by 2.5 years, basically all of the developmental delays should be overcome. 

As most know, Andrew came home with an apnea monitor.   We hoped to “graduate” from it by his two month appointment but he had too many bradycardia and apnea episodes.  So, it continues to be our sidekick.  We truly get some looks walking through the store with cords and wires hanging from our son.  Some have asked if it is a breathing machine.  A man the other day asked if it was a warmer; I wanted to laugh out loud as we are coming into the definition of a Houston summer with both the heat and humidity; everyone around was sweating! But the funniest moments have occurred when we almost cleared a store and Christian’s school, as people thought  a fire alarm was warning them of imminent danger.  (Yes, it is that loud.)  It has saved our son’s life, however, so we continue to plug him into the monitor.
Throughout these months, we have seen Andrew’s budding individuality and personality.  Andrew is a snuggler; he loves to burrow his head into the crook of my neck.  This, of course, delights me because I cannot get enough of his baby-fine hair and the warmth of his soft breath.   He does not like to be cradled, though, much to his grandpa’s chagrin.  And although he definitely has a temper (Daniel and I see a touch of red in his hair), I believe he is mellower than his brother.  He is content to study and observe the scene or something new for quite some time.

As one can clearly see,  I truly am head-over-heals for this little man!

No comments: