Saturday, September 10, 2011

Figuring Out the English Language

I apologize my posts have been scant lately.  Between cleaning up the house after a two-year-old tornado has hit, the numerous end-of-summer activities, and getting ready for a baby shower for a sweet family at church, I have not had much time to update the blog.  This last activity (preparing for the baby shower), leads me to take a few minutes and write a quick note. 

First of all, I love watching children figure things out.  There is a developmental progression as they age.  As Christian comes to understand the verbal language better, he is perplexed at some of the sayings we use everyday.  You can see the wheels turning as he tries to figure out our confusing English language.  For example, the other day he was joking around with me.  As he was doing this, he had a huge smile on his face, knowing that he was being silly.  I said, "You are pulling my leg."  Immediately, his look of glee turned into a look of confusion.  After a brief moment he started pulling his leg, thinking this was part of the process of joking. 

Preparing for the arrival of a new baby at church has led to talks about how God forms the precious ones in their mommy's tummy.  This led to another to another perplexing moment.  After the tummy comment, Christian promptly looked at me and said, "[They] eat them?"  I almost fell out of my chair laughing.  And them I was perplexed because I did not know whether I should even broach the topic of a uterus! 

Christian is definitely keeping us on our toes! 

Our Little Jokester

No comments: