Baking Gingerbread - Mommy's Favorite
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Merry Christmas
Christmas has come and gone. The decorations have returned to storage, the Christmas CDs have been replaced, and the stash of wrapping paper has been restocked. This does not prevent our little one from asking to see the "yights," the "ho-ho-ho's," and the "up-downs." For those of you who are scratching your heads, let me translate...lights, Santa's, and see-saws (our neighbor had a see-saw with Santa and Frosty as a lawn decoration.) It was a busy season for us, but it was also filled with awe and wonder.
Growing up, I spent hours in the kitchen with my mom baking holiday goodies. I was eager to share this experience with our son. We made a plethora of sugary treats, including: cookies, cupcakes, gingerbread, and gingerbread houses. He quickly learned the secret all bakers know...the one that makes the goodies has first dibs on licking the spoon!
One of my good friends asked me about our holiday traditions. This prompted me to create one I hope our family will enjoy for years to come. Granted, it is not overly creative. However, it did remind us of the true meaning of the season. On Christmas Eve, we baked cupcakes and talked about Jesus coming as a baby and celebrating His birthday. Then, on Christmas morning, we decorated the cupcakes and enjoyed the special delights.
It made me smile tonight as Christian caught sight of a picture of himself as a baby. I asked him if he knew who it was. A slow smile spread across and he nodded, saying and signing "Baby Jesus." I corrected him but my heart warmed, knowing our little boy had learned about the very special baby who was called Immanuel and grew up to be the Savior of the World.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love the pictures! He is such a sweet boy and you are a great mommy! :)
Post a Comment